Even though 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water, less than 1% is suitable for consumption. With the earth’s population continuing to rise, it is critical that we get smarter about how we use our supply of potable water. The good news is that we all can make a difference just by making a few small changes to our daily habits.
When it comes to saving water in the bathroom, a few small steps can make a big difference. Consider these tips for reducing your water consumption every day
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth, and rinse out the sink when you’re finished.
- Capture shower/bath water while waiting for water to change temperatures: This excess water can be used for watering plants.
- Don’t wait for the water to get hot before filling the tub for a bath. Put in the plug and adjust the water temperature as the tub fills.
- Do not use the toilet as a garbage can: Only flush the toilet when disposing of sanitary waste.
- Turn off the water while shaving: Fill the bottom of the sink with a few inches of water to rinse your razor.
The Water Saving Tips are brought to you by our Featured WaterSense manufacturer KOHLER. The EPA named KOHLER faucets as the 2009 EPA WaterSense Partner of the Year for their efforts in designing and producing faucets, toilets and showers to save water.
With KOHLER, saving water is easy as 1, 2, 3
1. Install High-Efficiency Toilets
KOHLER® Toilets that flush 1.28 gallons or less, when compared to a 3.5-gallon toilet, can save homeowners up to 16,500 gallons of water per fixture per year.
** Based on average usage of a household of four.
2. Use Water-Conserving Showerheads or Handshowers
KOHLER 1.75 gpm water-conserving showerheads and handshowers deliver an impressive 35% water savings over traditional 2.75 gpm showerheads and handshowers. This is for an average family of four taking approximately seven-minute showers. In other words, you save over 7,700 gallons of water per year. Because part of the Kohler mission is to provide a singular level of quality across all our products, you can depend on KOHLER water-saving products to deliver outstanding performance and beautiful design.
3. Choose Faucets with Water-Saving Aerators
Small in size, big on impact, KOHLER faucets with low-flow aerators deliver up to 45% water savings over traditional 2.75 gpm faucets.
With about 75 percent of the Earth covered in water, it’s easy to assume that we’ll never run out. People living in areas where water is scarce, however, already understand the importance of conserving this precious resource. The good news is that we can all make a difference just by making a few small changes to our daily habits.
When it comes to saving water in the kitchen, a few small steps can make a big difference. Consider these tips for reducing your water consumption every day.
- Capture running water while waiting for the temperature to change: this excess water can be used to water plants.
- When washing dishes by hand, use as little water as possible. Use only the required amount of dish soap and put the dishes in a rack to rinse them all together and reduce rinse water. Be sure to use short bursts instead of letting the water run when rinsing. When you do use the dishwasher, use appropriate water and energy efficient settings.
- Keep a container of drinking water in the refrigerator. With cold drinking water on hand, you’ll waste less than you would while waiting for the faucet to change temperature for each glass of water.
- Do not defrost frozen food with running water. Use the microwave or defrost in the refrigerator.
- When cooking, use only the amount of water required; this reduces the amount of water wasted when straining.
- In the laundry room, be sure to match the water level with your load size. If your washing machine doesn’t allow manual water level adjustment, wait until you have a full load before you run your machine.
The Water Saving Tips are brought to you by our Featured WaterSense partner KOHLER. The EPA named KOHLER faucets as the EPA’s WaterSense Partner of the Year for 2009 for their efforts in designing products to save water.
KOHLER Touchless faucets with Tripoint technology have an automatic shut-off, so water runs only when the faucet is in use. They also have highly accurate activation sensors, which conserve water by keeping false activations to a minimum. Kohler Touchless entertainment faucets with 1.5gpm aerators offer a substantial water savings over traditional 2.2 gpm faucets. And because they feature Touchless technology, these faucets save water with precise activation.
Aquifer water filtration systems with Kohler’s Wellspring® and Carafe beverage faucets are your source for refreshing, purified water.
An environmentally friendly alterntive to bottled water, Aquifer® water filtration systems combine with KOHLER beverage faucets to provide refreshingly pure drinking water. Eliminate all the hassles of home-filtered water. When you install an Aquifer water filtration system, you leave behind messy installation, meager water flow or lack of style and finish selections. Choose a lead-filtering system or a single-stage system to reduce dirt, rust and chlorine.