Even though 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water, less than 1% is suitable for consumption. With the earth’s population continuing to rise, it is critical that we get smarter about how we use our supply of potable water. The good news is that we all can make a difference just by making a few small changes to our daily habits.
When it comes to saving water in the bathroom, a few small steps can make a big difference. Consider these tips for reducing your water consumption every day
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth, and rinse out the sink when you’re finished.
- Capture shower/bath water while waiting for water to change temperatures: This excess water can be used for watering plants.
- Don’t wait for the water to get hot before filling the tub for a bath. Put in the plug and adjust the water temperature as the tub fills.
- Do not use the toilet as a garbage can: Only flush the toilet when disposing of sanitary waste.
- Turn off the water while shaving: Fill the bottom of the sink with a few inches of water to rinse your razor.
The Water Saving Tips are brought to you by our Featured WaterSense manufacturer KOHLER. The EPA named KOHLER faucets as the 2009 EPA WaterSense Partner of the Year for their efforts in designing and producing faucets, toilets and showers to save water.
With KOHLER, saving water is easy as 1, 2, 3
1. Install High-Efficiency Toilets
KOHLER® Toilets that flush 1.28 gallons or less, when compared to a 3.5-gallon toilet, can save homeowners up to 16,500 gallons of water per fixture per year.
** Based on average usage of a household of four.
2. Use Water-Conserving Showerheads or Handshowers
KOHLER 1.75 gpm water-conserving showerheads and handshowers deliver an impressive 35% water savings over traditional 2.75 gpm showerheads and handshowers. This is for an average family of four taking approximately seven-minute showers. In other words, you save over 7,700 gallons of water per year. Because part of the Kohler mission is to provide a singular level of quality across all our products, you can depend on KOHLER water-saving products to deliver outstanding performance and beautiful design.
3. Choose Faucets with Water-Saving Aerators
Small in size, big on impact, KOHLER faucets with low-flow aerators deliver up to 45% water savings over traditional 2.75 gpm faucets.